The annual report of the National Human Rights Council (CNDH) on the human rights situation in Morocco for the year 2021 was made public on Friday. Here are his main points.
– The Council advocated for the adoption of a human rights-based approach in the implementation of the New Development Model (NMD), taking into account the Sustainable Development Goals and the principles of participation, accountability , non-discrimination, empowerment and legitimacy
– “Public policies, programs and practices” section, the CNDH calls on the government to update the National Action Plan for Democracy and Human Rights (PANDDH) taking into account the new challenges in this area, such as climate change, digital and bio-ethics
The adoption of a national health strategy based on a human rights-based approach and the centrality of the role of the State in the protection of the right to health, particularly in terms of increasing the budget allocated to the sector, as well as the number of practicing executives, able to improve their working conditions, the rehabilitation of infrastructure and the generalization of health centers throughout the national territory, in accordance with the recommendations of the NMD and the government program concerning the generalization of Protection social.
– The Council also recommended improving the quality of public education and promoting equal opportunities between the sexes and between rural and urban areas.
– It also recommends continuing efforts to formalize the Amazigh language in schools, universities, courts and within public administrations, calling on the judiciary to exercise diligence in consolidating the application of international human rights standards. rights ratified by Morocco and implement the principle of the supremacy of these standards over national laws in accordance with the preamble of the Constitution.
– The activation of four constitutional institutions, namely, the Authority responsible for parity and the fight against all forms of discrimination, the Advisory Council for the family and childhood, the Advisory Council for youth and associative action and the National Council for Moroccan Languages and Culture.
-The acceleration of the adoption of the draft law aimed at modifying and supplementing the whole of criminal law, in accordance with the recommendations of the Council contained in its memorandum published in 2019, which recommends its compliance with constitutional requirements and standards international human rights standards, while taking into account the new challenges posed by the digital space, such as hate speech and discrimination, digital violence, fake news and artificial intelligence.
– The Council called for expediting the completion of the procedure for the ratification of the Optional Protocol to the Convention on the Rights of the Child establishing a procedure for the submission of communications, in addition to accession to a set of international and regional instruments, including the Second Optional Protocol to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights aiming to abolish the death penalty, the Optional Protocol to the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights, and Convention No. 87 of the on freedom of association and the protection of the right to organise.
– The Commission for monitoring the implementation of the recommendations of the Equity and Reconciliation Commission (IER) rendered, during the year 2021, 147 arbitration decisions, 95 of which were executed for the benefit of 198 beneficiaries, for an amount total of 16,519,296 dirhams, indicated the National Human Rights Council (CNDH) in its annual report on the human rights situation in Morocco.
– The Board held several meetings with civil society associations, in particular those that accompanied the work of the IER and/or the Commission for monitoring the implementation of its recommendations, during which data were shared on the progress made.
– A supplementary pension agreement has been concluded, in addition to the making of arbitration decisions, the payment of indemnities and the implementation of recommendations in terms of social integration.